Monday, April 06, 2009

What pays the bills

I've always had conflict with my running schedule when it comes to my job. I like to run at lunch and I fit my workout into the hour I have for lunch each day. However, there are days when work is hectic and lunch gets pushed back. On days like this, I've always struggled with the will-power to go for a run during my late lunch. On days that I just don't get lunch, I find it even harder to motivate myself to run after work.

This week is a busy one in the office. Many people are out for spring break and our group is in the midst of a large project with a looming deadline. I'm wearing several hats this week, which means the likelihood of a workout interruption is high. I did manage to make my trip to the gym today, but I have a feeling that I'm not going to have such luck everyday this week.

I do have priorities in life. My family is first and my job is second. My commitment to my health is high, but it is frequently a lower priority than my job. I'll admit that my physical health should be equal to my job in commitment and has not been throughout the years. Almost all of my failures to continue training can be linked to a burst in activity at work. This is something that I need to work on. I'm not about to reduce my efforts at work, instead I need to work on my willpower to continue to train despite the extra effort required.

No comments: