Sunday, April 05, 2009

Finishing Kick

My week of running started off on a sour note. I felt drained almost every day this week. To top it off, one foot didn't like my new shoes for the first few runs and I suffered a stomache cramp after running too soon after lunch on Saturday. As I reviewed my running pace for the week, I noticed that the first mile of each run as been better than 8:30, a significant improvement from a few weeks ago. Of, course each run fell apart after the first mile.

So I know that I've been running too fast in that first mile for my current condition, but I'm also happy to see that I can rattle off those miles. I mean, those are the type of miles I expect to run throughout my runs as I get into better condition. Four years ago, I was running sub 8 minute miles, mile after mile, after mile. I know I can get there.

Today I went for a final run of the week. I noticed a few things right away. I had energy... My foot seemed to be getting along with my new shoe... No sign of cramping... Again, my first mile was quick, but this time miles two and three were right at 9 minutes. It felt good to finish off the week on a good note. The run gave me confidence that I am getting better despite a poor start to the week.

The weather is supposed to be bad the first few days of the week. I plan to run outside unless it's too bad.

No comments: