Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Staying motivated while injured...

I've been going into the gym at lunch, switching between the stairs and the elliptical. I'm not very fond of either device, but I need to do something and they don't hurt my heel. Everyday, I see the usually runners and long to be outside enjoying the mild winter weather in Tampa. I've been passing time in the gym by listening to Khaled Hosseini's Kite Runner. The book is interesting so far and has received many good reviews.

I also received an achilles support brace in the mail today. I couldn't find one at the local Sports Authority so I ordered one online. I'm not sure if it will help me to run pain free, but I will give it a try when I feel ready. When I last tweaked my heel (January 3), I decided not to run until February, but I don't know how much more I can take without running. If my heel is feeling a bit better next week I may put my new brace on and go for a jog.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

i had a tear in the tendon that connects the front of the foot and the ankle in october after running a 50K. i ended up taking a whole month off and it was really hard, but it paid off in the end because i was able to completely heal. plus, like you, it forced me to do a lot more cross training, which is always good